What Are Cabins?
Cabins are Camp NaNoWriMo’s version of a writing group. Up to twenty writers can bunk together in a virtual cabin to create a personal writing community.
You can choose to be part of a cabin:
Being sorted into a public cabin
To join a cabin, make sure you’ve:
- Created a writing project for the current session of Camp, and
- Filled out your profile.
- Then, set your preferences on the Cabin Settings page:
If you want to be sorted into a cabin randomly, select the “Surprise me with random cabin mates!” option and click “Submit.”
If you want to be sorted into a cabin with writers that share similar interests, select “I’m looking for campers that match specific criteria.”
Then, you’ll be able request cabin mates within your age group, writing in your genre, and/or with similar word-count goals. Once you’ve selected all the preferences you’d like, click “Submit.”
Cabin assignments will begin shortly before the start of the event, and will continue throughout the month on a rolling basis.
Creating or joining a private cabin
A private cabin allows you to bunk with specific Camp NaNoWriMo participants that you know, or have met on the Finding Cabin Mates forum.
Creating a private cabin
- If you’re acting as the cabin administrator, go to the Cabin Settings page and select “I want to create a private cabin.”
- Once in your cabin, you can invite your friends by typing their usernames into the invitation field. You can invite up to 19 Campers. A Camper must have created a profile, a novel, and deselected “I don’t want cabin invitations this session” to be eligible.
Joining a private cabin
- First, make sure you have defined a project for the upcoming event.
On your Cabin Settings page, make sure you have:
- Selected “I don’t want to be included in a cabin” so you are not sorted into a random cabin,
- Deselected the ”I don’t want cabin invitations this session” option.
- When you are invited to a private cabin, that invitation will pop-up the next time you log in, or refresh the Camp NaNoWriMo page. “Join Now” will take you to your new cabin home; “No Thanks” will delete the invitation.